Last week I spoke about making healthier choices when ‘cooking’ convenience food. Today, I’m going to have a look at how you can make better choices when eating at your favourite fast food chain.
Fast food is not the best you can go for if you’re watching your weight, or trying to eat healthy. However, with a little bit of thought, you can make smarter choices.
10 Tips to make healthier choices at your favourite fast food chain
- Do not make a habit of eating fast food; treat yourself to fast food every now and then.
- Avoid super-size meals; you’re not doing yourself any favours when choosing very large meals. You’re spending more money to get you feeling uncomfortably stuffed.
- Choose grilled chicken and salad (when possible) as opposed to a burger.
- “No thanks” to mayo; go for olive oil and balsamic vinegar instead of creamy dressings.
- Go for a thin and crispy pizza base instead of cheesy crust.
- Skip the soft drink and go for a bottle of still water.
- Do not add cheese and bacon over and above; better still, remove any ingredients you can make do without.
- When eating at your favourite pizza place, skip the garlic bread, bread sticks or cheese sticks whilst waiting for your pizza.
- Choose a smaller pizza or share a large one and supplement with a side salad; most pizzas are huge these days.
- Go for small fries and pass the sweet, especially if you decided to have a soft drink.
Last but not least, if your trip to your favourite fast food place is planned, check out their website before you go. A number of fast food chains offer, nutritional information which can help you make better choices.
My thanks go to
Eat this not that – Burger King
Eat this not that – MacDonalds